From our friends at Ricki Heller
These pancakes offer the perfect use for leftover sweet potato (or pumpkin). You can make your own purée from baked sweet potatoes for best flavor, but any kind of unsweetened purée is fine. A light, fluffy, and subtly spiced pancake, they’re great for holiday brunches–or every day.
· 1/2 cup (120 ml) sweet potato purée
· 1-1/2 cups (360 ml) plain or vanilla unsweetened soy, almond or rice milk, plus a bit more, if needed
· 2 Tbsp (30 ml) finely ground flax seeds
· 1 Tbsp (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
· 3 Tbsp (45 ml) sunflower or other light-tasting oil, preferably organic (or use melted coconut oil)
· 1/4 cup (60 ml) whole psyllium husks
· 1 large pear, cored and diced into 1/4 inch (.5 cm) pieces
· 1-3/4 cups (235 g) Ricki’s All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Mix
· 2 Tbsp (30 ml) unflavored rice or soy protein powder (or use 2 Tbsp/30 ml garfava or chickpea flour)
· 1/8 tsp (.5 ml) pure stevia powder, or 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pure stevia liquid*
· 1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
· 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
· 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Chinese 5-Spice Powder (or use cinnamon)
· 1/4 tsp (1 ml) fine sea salt
1. In a small bowl, combine the sweet potato purée, milk, flax, vinegar, oil and psyllium husks; gently fold in the pears and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift the flour, protein powder, stevia, baking powder, baking soda, 5-spice powder and salt. Pour the wet mixture over the dry and stir gently to blend; do not overmix (it’s okay if a few dry spots remain here or there). The batter will be very thick, more spreadable than pourable.
3. Spray a nonstick frypan with nonstick spray, or brush with a thin layer of coconut oil. Heat over medium heat. Using a large ice cream scoop or 1/3 cup (80 ml) measuring cup, scoop the batter into the pan. Use a silicone spatula to spread it out to about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thickness.
4. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side, until the edges and most of the top are dry; flip and cook the other side for another 3-4 minutes, until the pancake is deep golden brown. Take care not to undercook or the inside will still be wet. Makes 12-14 pancakes. May be frozen.