From our friends at Healthy Nibbles
Succulent, spicy portobello mushrooms are the star of these lightened up collard green tacos.
These harissa portobello tacos are made with collard greens instead of tortillas! They make a healthy gluten-free and vegan meal!
If you don’t have collard greens on hand, you can also use lettuce or chard!
Prep Time 20 min
Cook Time 10 min
Total Time: 30 min
· 1 lb (450g) portobello mushrooms
· 1/4 cup (60g) spicy harissa , or use a mild harissa
· 3 TBS olive oil, divided
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 1 tsp onion powder
· 6 collard green leaves
· 2 medium ripe avocados
· 2 TBS chopped tomatoes
· 2 TBS chopped red onion
· 1 1/2 to 2 TBS lemon or lime juice
· pinch of salt
· 1 TBS chopped cilantro
· cashew cream
· chopped tomatoes
· chopped cilantro
1. Remove the stem of the portobellos. Rinse mushrooms and pat dry.
2. Mix harissa, 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, and onion powder in a bowl. Brush each mushroom with the harissa mixture, making sure to cover the edges of the mushroom as well. Let mushroom marinade for 15 minutes.
3. While the mushrooms are marinading, prepare guacamole. Halve and pit the avocados and scoop out the flesh. Mash avocados and mix in chopped tomatoes, red onion, lemon juice, salt, and cilantro. Set aside.
4. Rinse collard greens. Chop off the tough stems and set aside.
5. When the mushrooms are done marinading, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Place the portobello mushrooms in the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Each side should be browned.
6. Turn off the heat and let the mushrooms rest for 2 to 3 minutes before slicing.
7. Take a collard green leaf and fill it with a few slices of portobello. Add guacamole, chopped tomatoes, cashew cream, and cilantro to your liking.
· To make the cashew cream, soak 1 cup of raw cashews overnight. Drain water and blend cashews with 1 cup of fresh water. Use cashew cream on the tacos as is or add a pinch of salt and lemon juice. You can also make 1/2 or 1/4 of the recipe.
· If the harissa you are using is very thick, blend it with oil and add water one tablespoon at a time to thin it out. Be sure to adjust the seasonings too.