From our friends at My Whole Food Life
It is possible to make Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk.
This vegan sweetened condensed milk is actually super easy to make. Only 3 ingredients!
We chose coconut milk to use as my base. We liked that it is rich in texture. However, you can use any other milk you like.
Yields: 1 cup
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 45 min
· 1 can full fat coconut milk (or any other milk you like)
· 1/3 cup coconut sugar (maple syrup or honey will probably work too)
· 1 tsp ground vanilla beans
1. In a saucepan, on medium heat, add the coconut milk and the coconut sugar.
2. Whisk together often. You will see the mixture start to bubble and thicken. It takes about 40 minutes. As it thickens, keep stirring. You may need to turn down the heat as it begins to thicken so you don’t burn it. Keep a watchful eye one it. You want a nice simmer going.
3. It should reduce down to about 1 cup. Once it’s there, add in the vanilla beans and stir until those are combined.
Once the mixture has cooled, store it in a glass jar. I used mine almost immediately to make some magic bars (recipe coming soon). You can store the sweetened condensed milk in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.