Melanzanosalata, or Eggplant Dip, is a traditional Greek dish. It’s made with all the flavors associated with Greek food such as lemon, oregano, thyme, mint, red wine vinegar and parsley. This rich and tangy dip is delicious served with pita bread or with pita chips.
· 1-2 small eggplants
· ¼ C diced tomatoes
· 2 T minced onion
· 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
· 1 tsp olive oil
· 1 tsp red wine vinegar
· 1 T fresh chopped parsley
· ½ tsp dried oregano
· ½ tsp dried thyme
· ½ tsp fresh chopped mint
· Salt and pepper to taste
1. prick a few holes in 1 large or 2 small eggplants. Place them on a baking sheet lined with foil, rub them with olive oil and roast them in a 400 degree oven for 40 – 50 minutes or until they feel very soft.
2. Remove them from the oven and let them cool so you can touch them.
3. Peel away the skin and chop the eggplant flesh.
4. Transfer the eggplant flesh into a bowl and add ¼ cup diced tomatoes, 2 Tbs. minced onion, 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. red wine vinegar, 1 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley, ½ tsp. dried oregano, ½ tsp. dried thyme and ½ tsp. fresh chopped mint.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Mix it all together, cover the bowl and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
7. Taste for any seasoning adjustments and serve with bread or chips.